We proudly present this piece of student writing by Tracy Villafuerte, an advanced English student at Instituto Estelar Bilingüe. Her teacher, Manuel Garcia, recommended Tracy’s recent writing assignment to be published on our blog. Enjoy!
Our featured writer, Tracy, is the one on the right in the red shirt. Here she is at the weekly English Conversation Club at Instituto Estelar Bilingüe!
Nowadays, as you may know, is too important to learn a second language, but… Why learn English? and the most important thing: How to learn it?
Around the world, English is the second language most commonly spoken, after Mandarin Chinese. So, that’s a good reason for anybody to learn English, but not only because is the second language, but rather because, if you want to travel, you may want to speak a foreign language and you have to know for sure, you will find at least one English speaker, native or not. And how about get a better job? Most of the well-paid jobs require English knowledge, written or spoken. Think about it and pay attention to these key tips to learn English.
How to Learn English:
1. Find a good school to learn: Most of the schools do not have native speakers as the teachers. If you want to learn English in a good way, you may want to be taught by a native speaker. Many people find difficult to learn English because of the pronunciation, but if you get a native speaker as a teacher, you will be learning the correct pronunciation and you will be required to speak in English the full time of your class. Another thing is that you will be able to participate in many activities related to English, make new friends and not only learn about a foreign culture, you also can share about your own culture. So, you can learn English by finding a good school.
2. Always Practice: Practice everywhere, most of the people think, learn English is just to go to class, do their homework and pass the tests. English is more than that! English is practice in real situations, you can easily learn English by losing the fear of being heard by the native speakers. English is about practice what you learn every class. English is about friendship, long talks, good friends, trips. English is an open door to the opportunities. At the end, you can learn English by practicing with anybody, student or native speaker.
3. Commitment: If you want to learn English, you may want to be committed, study for exams, do your homework, oral presentations, extra works. Every assignment needs to be done by yourself, nobody else, by yourself, in that way you can evaluate your knowledge, in order to find any weakness and ask for help to your teacher. If you do all your assignments, you can be sure what you have to improve, because learn English is a personal thing, nobody will learn English for you. Try to get along with English! You can learn English by being committed.
4. Be Patient: Nobody learns English in one day. Learn a new language requires to keep practicing the new vocabulary you just learned. You can learn English by writing down every single new word you hear, learn or see. Do not feel desperate, if you are in a beginner class, you may want to pass that level before to go in an advanced class. So, you should wait and be patient, so, try to learn as much as you can in your current level because it will be your basis for the next level every time you start a new level. You can learn English by waiting in the learning process.
5. Do your best: Always do your best. Some people give up because they failed a test, or when someone laugh because of their pronunciation, but if you want to learn English, you may want not to be afraid or ashamed about what other people think about your English or your pronunciation. Everybody passed by the same process. Your teacher will correct you every time you need it, but he or she won’t laugh of you. Always do the best you can in presentations, tests, or whatever you have to do. So, you can learn English by having a great attitude.
6. Join English groups: If you want to learn English, and have a great fluency you should join an English group to practice grammar, pronunciation, fluency and the most important thing: eliminate the fear of speaking. In most of the groups you will be practicing as much as you want, most native speakers go to help other people in different countries in their vacation, so you can join these groups as a volunteer and during this time you can learn English and help them to help your country, you can have your English improved by helping your town.
7. TV Shows, Videos and Music: If you think you are too shy to join any English group, you may want to find a way to practice. Since English is a very popular language, there are many TV shows in English. You should not have forgotten the videos, music and movies, you can watch them and read the subtitles at first or just try to understand the movies or TV shows, for videos (musical) and music, I have some steps for you to follow, if you want to practice your English by listening them: First, the song or video has to be chosen; then the song/ video is listened to; after that you have to be disposed to try to understand what they are telling you; then the lyric has to be found in order to read and match it with the song. Finally the song is read by the time you are listening to the song.
Well, as always, everything comes to an end, and one thing to know for sure is that English is a whole culture, and if you want to learn English you can follow these suggestions:
1. You can learn English by finding a good school.
2. You can learn English by practicing with anybody.
3. You can learn English by being committed.
4. You can learn English by waiting in the learning process.
5. You can learn English by having a great attitude.
6. You can have your English improved by helping your town.
And the most important thing: You can learn English by being interested in learning a foreign language.